You may be asked to show identification when you check in at a voting place.
If you are registered to vote, you should receive a voter information card in the mail at the end of September. Bring your card with you when you vote to speed up your voting experience.
You should also bring two identification documents to prove who you are and where you live.
Bring two identification documents to prove who you are and where you live
One of these two documents must include your signature. Electronic copies of documents are not accepted.
- BC CareCard or BC Gold CareCard
- BC driver’s licence
- BC identification card (BCID) from ICBC Driver Licencing
- BC Services Card
- Birth certificate
- Canadian passport
- Certificate of Indian Status
- Citizenship card
- Credit card or debit card
- ICBC owner’s certificate of insurance and vehicle licence
- Income tax assessment
- "Monthly Report" Form (HR0081) from the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction
- "Monthly Report" Form (HR0081) from the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction (formerly Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation)
- NEXUS card
- Property tax notice
- Social Insurance Number card
- Statutory declaration or sworn affidavit (from a notary public, lawyer, or commissioner for taking affidavits)
- Student card
- Utility bill for electricity, natural gas, water, telephone, or cable services
- Vancouver Public Library card
- important The combined BC Driver's Licence and CareCard is considered one piece of ID.
If you have only one acceptable identifying document
You can swear a Declaration of Elector Identity and Place of Residence in front of a Presiding Election Official at the voting place.
This statutory declaration becomes your second identifying document. Only one statutory declaration will be accepted.
If you have no fixed address
If you live in Vancouver but have no fixed address or ordinary postal address, you can register to vote using the address of a shelter or social agency you go to.
- Lookout Shelter
- Salvation Army
- Covenant House
- Carnegie Centre
You will need to provide identification or make a sworn declaration.